Era: 1872-1955
Location: Northeast corner of Washington and Exchange Streets
Around 1872, Amos Gould constructed an impressive building at the northeast corner of Washington and Exchange Streets—on the former site of Ingersoll Tavern, which had burned down.
Among those associated with the building was Alexander Johnson, the popular Owosso barber from 1870 to 1907.
Early tenants included Palace Bakery, a dentist, Hoyt and Davis Dry Goods, J.C. Dingman Grocer, and Brewer and Howe Boots and Shoes.
Ezekiel Salisbury later purchased the property (then called the Salisbury Block) and converted the two center stores into the Salisbury Opera House. Patrons climbed an outside flight of stairs to see stars like Will Rogers perform.
In 1916, it became the Strand Theatre, owned by Eugene S. Brewer. In 1955, the theatre and four additional buildings were demolished to make way for the G.C. Murphy Co. store.
Historical account provided by Piper Brewer, descendant of Ezekiel Salisbury and Eugene S. Brewer.